Countdown to the Conference
WCC 2018 Abstract Submission Guidelines
Call for Abstracts is now open!
Abstract submissions are welcome for consideration for the World Canals Conference 2018 which will be held in Athlone, Westmeath, Ireland on 10th – 12th September 2018.
Call for Abstracts Opens: 20th October 2017
Abstract Submission Deadline: 28th February 2018
Notification of Review Outcome: April 2018
Deadline for accepted authors to register to confirm attendance: 20th May 2018
Programme Available Online: June 2018
The abstract submission process for WCC 2018 will be through an online submission portal
Presenting Authors are requested to create an account and submit an abstract for review according to the guidelines set out below. The same account will be used when you register for the conference. Please keep the email and password used to create the account for future use. Please do not create a new account. Should you require any assistance or have a query about online submission, contact WCC2018@conferencepartners.ie.
- It is ESSENTIAL that you read the instructions below before you submit
- The Presenting Author must submit the abstract and is required to be the corresponding author for that abstract
- Abstracts must be submitted in English
You do not need to register for the Conference prior to submitting an abstract however following acceptance into the programme you must register by 20th May 2017.
If you have an accepted abstract you are entitled to get the early bird registration rate up until the 20th May 2017. You will be provided with a link to register at this rate in your acceptance email. If you have any queries please contact WCC2018@conferencepartners.ie. After this date any registrations made by you will be at the prevailing conference registration fee at time of registration/payment.
An abstract can be submitted for presentation at the Conference as one of the following categories:
- Oral or Poster
The Programme Committee may at the review stage change the presentation type submitted by the author prior to notification of acceptance to ensure the continuity of the conference programme i.e. oral presentation may be changed to poster presentation OR poster presentation to oral presentation. The presenting Author will be informed of any change to their submitted presentation type at the acceptance notification stage. The decision of the programme committee is final.
Oral presentations will be 20 minutes long with 5 minutes for questions and answers
Accepted posters will be asked to produce a poster for display at the conference. Presenters are asked to take note of the following guidelines when producing their poster:
- Maximum poster size is A0 (portrait orientation)
- Keep text to a minimum
- Ensure any text is in large font
- Use graphs, charts, and/or tables
- Ensure contents have a logical flow
- Use the push pins provided to affix your poster to the display board
- Make it colourful
- Removal and collection of posters at the end of the display period remains the responsibility of the presenter. Posters not removed by the indicated take down time will be removed and disposed of.
The three strands making up the World Canals Conference 2018 provide a platform from which we will all learn how the navigable waterways and canals of the world have been Restored, Regenerate and Re-imagine.
The path of waterway restoration has led some to UNESCO World Heritage Status or the creation of new generations of audiences for waterway stories. The regeneration of waterways all over the world has led to community and business engagement and growth in participation for fun, for health, for education or for jobs. The re-imagining of a waterway and its environment has created opportunities for innovative and sometimes technological solutions to age old engineering, logistical or operational problems.
The 2018 conference invites participation from leaders, innovators, engineers and administrators, experts and enthusiasts, business-people and users from every sector. Speakers from waterway management, engineering, technology, recreation, sport, heritage tourism, health and community to motivate, inspire, engage and foster innovation, creativity and enthusiasm.
As the physical, social and economic environment in which we operate changes even more dynamically, the networking and learning opportunities provided by the World Canal Conference will become even more valuable to us all. Join us and play your part in the restoration, regeneration and re-imagining of our global waterways.
Abstracts must be submitted under one of the conference themes:
Submission Guidelines and Templates:
Please adhere to the following formatting guidelines when preparing abstracts for submission for WCC 2018. Abstracts which are not correctly formatted will not be reviewed.
How to submit an abstract
The Presenting Author will be the contact person for the abstract and must submit the abstract. Once you enter the online submission portal, start by creating an Account. Please keep a record of the account details you use to set up the account as you will require them to log into both the WCC 2018 abstract submission system and Conference registration portals. Upon successful submission of the abstract a confirmation email will be sent to the Presenting Author.
If you have not received a confirmation email, please check that your abstract is not left in draft and is fully submitted by logging back into the portal and checking on the Edit Abstracts page.
A person may be submit 2 abstracts but only 1 abstract per registration as lead presenter will be permitted.
Please note that you can save your submission as a draft and return to edit the submission, but once it has been submitted the abstract cannot be edited after the close of submission deadline. If you require any assistance regarding the submission of your abstract, contact WCC2018@conferencepartners.ie.
The online abstract submission system is a simple step by step process and will ask you to input the following details:
- Title of the abstract (word limit is 15)
- Presentation type (Oral, Poster, Oral or Poster)
- Theme must be chosen from the theme list above
- Name, organisation, and job title of Presenting Author (this person will act as the main contact for this abstract; this person must be listed as the first author)
- Name, organisation, and job title of co-author(s)
- Abstract word limit is 300, excluding Title, Authors and Organisations
- Complete questions listed in Additional Information.
- Download the abstract template shown below to create the abstract as a Word document and then save as a Word file for uploading to the system. Only WORD files will be accepted for upload. Graphs and tables may not be included in the abstract.
Abstract Submission Template
Abstracts must be formatted using the WCC 2018 template. Abstracts can be submitted in English only. Click on the button to download the template.
Notification of Acceptance
Notification will be sent to the Presenting Author in April 2018.
When notified of acceptance, the Presenting Author is required to accept their offer by registering for the Conference by 20th May 2018. Failure to do so may result in the rejection of their abstract from the programme.
Terms and Conditions:
- The abstract submitted adheres to the abstract submission guidelines the above guidelines.
- The text of the abstract along with the names and organisations, poster, powerpoint presentations and/or additional documents as requested will be published on the conference website and book of abstracts, and that this will not raise any copyright issues.
- This abstract has only been submitted once for WCC 2018.
- A submission as a particular presentation type may be changed to a different type following review in order to be accepted and included in the programme.
- Presenters may be recorded for live streaming. A recording of the presentation and a copy of the slides will be published online after the conference.
- It is the responsibility of the Presenting Author to submit the abstract. They are the main contact whose responsibility it is to communicate with other co-authors and ensure that they register to be included in the programme.
- Accepted authors must register by 20th May 2018 to confirm acceptance of their offer in the programme. If accepted authors are not registered by this date, they may be removed from the programme.
- A person may submit 2 abstracts but only 1 abstract per registration as lead presenter will be permitted.
- The abstract submitted is in English.
- The Presenting Author is available to present at the conference on 10th – 12th September 2018
If you have any queries regarding the above, please contact the WCC 2018 Programme Team WCC2018@conferencepartners.ie
Sponsorship & Exhibition Opportunities
If you would like to find out more information on becoming a sponsor or exhibitor, please contact:
Colm O’Grady, Commerical Director
Conference Partners Ltd,
T: +353 1 296 7254
For further information on accommodation, social programme and registration please contact:
Conference Partners International
T: + 353 1 296 8688
If you would like further information on the programme, please contact: WCC2018Programme@conferencepartners.ie